Tuesday 30 August 2011

Transitions

Well, I often have a lot of thoughts rolling around in my brain. Some stay in there, where they ought to be. Some find their way to Cody, poor guy. Some leave my mind when they shouldn't and some just beg to be written down, where I can take a look at them and decide for myself if that's how I actually feel. So this post is a bit of a smattering of all my thoughts as of late.

First. I am looking forward to fall. I love summer, I really do. We have had a great summer. Going to BC, swimming with Ella, reading a few books, playing frisbee, going to my grandparents and picking raspberries, seeing old friends and laughing... for a long time.

But I love fall, and that is a change from when I was a teenager. I used to feel like fall was a time of sadness, or heading into monotony (it never was, but for some reason, it just felt like it might be). But fall means smells of cinnamon and pumpkin, sugar cookies and cool air. It means crisp mornings, and leaves on the ground. It means the start of my own hockey season, and the start of the NHL hockey season, which means the start of hockey pool talk that goes on for ages in my house. It means the start of new seasons of a couple of my favorite TV shows, The Mentalist, Big Bang Theory, and of course my very favorite, Heartland.We are not people that watch a lot of TV, but we do look forward to these new things that happen on a schedule. And even though I am home with a baby, and one would think I would have a schedule all the time, I look forward to fall and how it lends itself to a little bit of predictability week in and out. Now, the greatest joy of my life is to celebrate the birth of our little girl in October. Hard to believe she will already be a year old!

Next order of business. Work. I have to go back. I feel... a bunch of different things about it. Sometimes I feel sad to be leaving Ella. Sometimes I feel excited to think about getting out of the house a couple days a week. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. How is this going to work? Do I wean her? When will I get groceries?

Last thought: stuff. Went to Chinook yesterday. Holy crap. Haven't been there in so long, there are so many stores and sooo much. Being at home and on a mat leave salary this year hasn't left a lot for any extras (maybe a book here and there!). But going to the mall made me feel like I needed things I don't need, and that I am out of date. Which I am. But I care less than I used to.


That's all... for now!

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry Nicole we all get out of date at some time, all that matters is how you accept it. I wish I could share your sentiments on Fall, to me it is just a prelude to winter, yuck!

    ReplyDelete