Wednesday 13 July 2011

These Days

What is on my mind these days?

Well, as usual I have a few books on the go. I have had The Finkler Question in my pile of 'to-read' books, and I think I will start that when we go on holidays in a couple weeks. I just finished Olive Kitteridge, which was an interesting read for sure. I don't think I have ever read anything else like it. It is a collection of peoples' stories, and what they have in common is that they know Olive. It was a thought provoking read, and caused me to spend time contemplating how my life weaves in and out of other peoples' stories. I also just finished The Thirteenth Tale which I picked up after reading about it on a friends blog. I loved it, and I think I will read it again. Well written, and a great mystery.

Ella got her first tooth this weekend, it was an exciting event. And somewhat sad for her, but it was not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. She is such a joyful little girl, usually waking up from naps happy and smiling, chattering to herself for a few minutes before she starts to wonder why you have not arrived to collect her from her crib yet. She is army crawling around the house, and I have spent some time rearranging things so that things she should play with are in reach for her, and things she shouldn't are out of reach. It has been such a joy to spend these months with her.

I found that once we started solids, our life took on a nice rhythm and routine. I have enjoyed finding new foods to introduce her to, although squash and sweet potatoes, apple sauce and cereal seem to be her favorites still. She does love fruit (just like her Daddy!) and is not crazy about trying new things. I have found this book to be so helpful in finding new recipes to make for her. It has also inspired new ideas for us, and we have eaten so much better these past few months. Weekly trips to the grocery store for fresh fruit and veggies have made us feel (and look, I hope!) a lot better. Babies add such balance to a home. We are so blessed!

Also, I haven't been able to convince Ella to drink from a sippy cup. I have read that teaching them to drink from a regular cup is just as good, and we have been trying that with much more success the past few days. Yesterday we went to the Stampede, and I found the answer to our drinking questions (well, Ella's sippy drinking question)! We stumbled upon the Tupperware booth at the BMO building, and I found these! My mom had a set for us as kids, and so I grabbed a set of 4 to see what Ella thought. They worked better than anything else! She loves to drink water from them, and they are much easier for her to use than the other sippy's with the mouth part in the middle of the cup. I am so pleased.

We are leaving to go camping in just about two weeks. It will be our first camping trip with Ella, to a campground in BC that both mine and Cody's families grew up enjoying. I am slowly getting a couple meals frozen to stick in the cooler, and have lists going of things we need to pack. We are tenting it, although I have been secretly hoping someone might offer to lend us their tent trailer. We still have some time left! Camping with a baby will be much different, I know. But we are so excited. We love the outdoors, and are looking forward to introducing our little girl to our love of camping.


2 comments:

  1. You are such a busy reader! I started The Lake of Dreams yesterday and then I'm on to The Thirteenth Tale.
    I love the sweet pictures of Ella. It's so much fun when they start getting into things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is just fun!! And FYI, if you need a tupperware supplier, I know one...not me, don't worry. Tasha Best does it. If you need anything, let me know and I'll get ya hooked up!

    ReplyDelete